Director at Girl Effect Nigeria
Girl Effect, is an organisation working to break the cycle of inter-generational poverty. We do this by investing in programmes for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behaviour change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Nigeria
- Job Field Administration / Secretarial
Department: Country Management / Leadership
Vacancy Type: Permanent
- We are looking for a Director to lead our overall operations in Nigeria – a dynamic, inspirational individual with a deep knowledge of Nigeria, its complexities and its unique mix of media, innovation, technology and creative cultures.
- As a Director, you will oversee a significant acceleration of our current activities as we look to build on these, as well as implement new strategies that will have a significant national-level impact on the lives of Nigeria’s girls and the social norms that hold them back.
- To be successful in this role, you will need to have a deep knowledge of media and digital communications, as well as a nose for finding and securing partnerships and funding that enable us to scale our products and increase our impact.
As this is the most senior role within Girl Effect Nigeria, you will ultimately be accountable for all aspects of strategy, management and performance.
- Setting out and executing GE Nigeria’s strategy, in line with our global objectives – defining a long-term ambition for the business, producing an annual strategy at the beginning of each financial year and drawing up a plan for how this strategy will be delivered
- You will be accountable for the allocation of resources to deliver strategy, budget management and review, as well as defining and populating an organisation structure for the team.
- You will also contribute to global strategic debates and provide strategic guidance to other GE teams as required.
- You will be responsible for the effective delivery of programmes in line with the strategy, within the agreed budget.
- This includes developing a regular business cadence (e.g. monthly/quarterly reports and meetings) to track progress and spend, as well as best-in-class systems, processes and teams to deliver our programmes.
- Line management of four direct reports, as well as play a driving force in enhancing our organisational culture and acting as a role model for the team.
- Working closely with the Product Leads to ensure the individual products receive the staff support in country to grow and thrive
- Sound fiscal management of the country office and compliance with all internal financial policies, local laws and reporting requirements.
- This role will also be responsible for the safety and security of staff, visitors and partners, and will work with the Operations team to ensure this.
- Strong relationship management with current and future partners in both the development and commercial sector is also key to this role as you will serve as the chief fund mobilisation officer in Nigeria and will need to identify, engage and cultivate support, as well as solicit and secure gifts and grants that support our products and programs.
- You will also be involved in marketing communications and be accountable for all press, stakeholder and influencer activity in Nigeria and may be required to represent Girl Effect on a global stage.
- You will need to work closely with the senior team in Abuja, as well as with local partners in Nigeria that help us deliver our work.
- Externally, you will need to develop relationships with current and potential funders, including commercial partners in the media and tech sectors, bilateral donors, large NGOs, private foundations, Multinational CSR leaders and key government officials and regulators.
Skills and Experience
- Strong leadership experience and the ability to motivate and inspire a team and help them move through strategic changes.
- A deep expertise in digital media, creative and technology, with proven experience of, growing and managing digital brands and products.
- A strong business and entrepreneurial background, with experience in building partnerships and securing funding.
- Exceptionally strong communication skills – engaging at all levels in person and in writing
- A deep network in Nigeria – especially in the media and digital technology space.
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix structure, especially in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds;
- Strong influencing skills, with ability to inspire others to work towards the same goal;
- You will need to be comfortable translating strategy into specific priorities, objectives, and action plans
- Successful relationship building background – to advance business goals and manage the needs of diverse stakeholders
- An attitude and approach that embraces change and seeks innovation – spots barriers and resistance to change and looks for solutions
- A Positive, energetic and can-do attitude.
- A commitment to realising the potential of girls, and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Girl Effect career website on girleffect-jobs.org to apply