Director, Environment and Social Safeguards Department (SNSC) at the African Development Bank Group (AfDB)
African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Environment and Social Safeguards Department (SNSC)
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093255
- The Senior Vice-Presidency (SNVP) is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The SNVP will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The SNVP will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management decisions.â€‹
The Hiring Department
- Located within the SVNP Complex, the Environment and Social Safeguards and Compliance Department (SNSC) is responsible for mainstreaming environmental and social development considerations into Bank-financed operations in the public and private sectors through the implementation of the Integrated Safeguard System (ISS).
- The Department’s main objectives are to improve the quality of Bank operations at entry and during implementation, with a particular emphasis on enhancing developmental effectiveness through application of environmental and social safeguards procedures and tools at throughout the project cycle.
The Director will provide guidance, leadership and strategic direction on:
- Planning, organization and coordination of the activities of the Department;
- Timely verification of compliance of regional operations with the Bank’s environmental and social (E&S) safeguards and timely processing of their E&S requirements
- Effective execution of environmental and social safeguards during project implementation through supervision, counselling and compliance audits.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Senior Vice-President, the Director of the Environment and Social Safeguards and Compliance Department will:
- Establish and operate the Safeguards and Compliance Department to provide environmental, social and climate safeguards’ knowledge and expertise to the Bank and its Regional Member Countries (RMCs);
- Direct and oversee the work of the Department: plan, organize and coordinate the activities of the Department; set the overall objectives, develop work programs and oversee their execution; ensure that deadlines are met and that Department’s outputs reach the highest technical quality standards;
- Develop, implement and update safeguards policies: plan, coordinate and lead the preparation, revision/updating of key Bank environmental and social safeguard policies and procedures, in particularly ensuring the effective application of the Integrated Safeguards System (ISS) in collaboration with other Bank units, liaise with relevant non-governmental organizations on policy and project matters related to environmental and social safeguards; oversee the development and dissemination of staff capacity development modules, guidelines, and other tools on safeguards;
- Ensure environmental and social compliance of the Bank’s operations: oversee environmental and social categorization and climate screening routinely executed by the decentralized regional staff and liaise with operations on any issues of categorization; advise Senior Management in relation to operations undergoing mediation or inspection under the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM); coordinate Management responses on issues of compliance with environmental and social safeguards;
- Contribute to knowledge development and networking: establish and oversee the in-house network of environmental safeguards and social development specialists as a platform for consultation, knowledge and capacity development; support staff development and capacity building programs on environmental and social safeguards, at both Bank and country levels; coordinate knowledge capture, and dissemination and outreach activities; manage partnerships, networking, harmonization initiatives with other multilateral development banks and development agencies and represent the Bank in international fora and conferences on environmental and social safeguards.
- Provide leadership and interface with the Board in providing feedback on environmental and social matters related to Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM)/Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) in liaison with respective sector departments;
- Advise Senior Management in relation to operations undergoing mediation or inspection under the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM);
- Coordinate Management responses on issues of compliance with environmental and social safeguards;
- Provide guidance, leadership and strategic direction on: developing, implementing and updating the environmental and social safeguards policies, procedures and guidelines;
- Provide policy and operational guidance to Task Managers and Investment Officers on environmental and social development issues as a means of strengthening the environmental and social performance of Bank operations;
- Provide technical support to Regional Member Countries (RMCs) to enhance their knowledge of environmental and social issues and through country dialogue strengthen their own national country safeguards systems;
- Ensure that projects and programs comply with the Bank’s environmental and social safeguards and compliance policies throughout as well as coordinate management responses to complaints on Bank-funded projects;
- Foster partnerships in the area of environmental, climate and social sustainability to enhance the delivery and performance of the High 5s;
- Strengthen partnerships and initiate networking with other international and bilateral agencies at international, regional and local levels.
- Plan, organize and coordinate the activities of the Department, including review and validation of the work program;
- Set the overall objectives, ensuring alignment between the strategic priorities of the department, the Complex and the Bank, and oversee their execution;
- Ensure that deadlines are met and that Department’s outputs reach the highest technical quality standards;
- Review the budget and its actual implementation;
- Ensure environmental and social compliance of the Bank’s operations;
- Oversee environmental and social categorization and climate screening routinely executed by the decentralized regional staff and liaise with operations on any issues of categorization;
- Ensure project due diligence review, clearance and monitoring of all operations’ environmental and social safeguards documents
- Establish and oversee the in-house network of environmental safeguards and social development specialists as a platform for consultation, knowledge and capacity development;
- Support staff development and capacity building programs on environmental and social safeguards, at both Bank and country levels;
- Coordinate knowledge capture, and dissemination and outreach activities;
- Manage partnerships, networking, harmonization initiatives with other multilateral development banks and development agencies and represent the Bank in international fora and conferences on environmental and social safeguards
- Ensure the department has the appropriate skills-mix and budget at any time for effective delivery of the objectives defined in the work program.
- Review and validate the staffing needs, and build with the Human Resources department the required recruitment plans.
- Assess work performance, appraise staff potential and determine training needs.
- Put in place, with the assistance of the Human Resources department, talent management mechanisms, to build a talent pool for the department for business continuity.
- Organize effective delegation of responsibilities by empowering staff at all levels.
- Prepare and submit annually departmental budget for the Department Programming and Budget processing
- Ensure that approved budget is effectively and efficiently implemented
- Ensure proper alignment of work program of the department with the budget
- Provide sufficient human and financial resources to fulfill the mandate of the Department, leveraging internal resources and establishing external partnerships.
- Represent the Bank in the relevant discussion platforms, by clearly presenting Senior Management value proposition and enhancing African Development Bank’s brand image.
- Ensure that strategic partnerships internally and externally are created to strengthen the delivery of the work of the department and the Bank.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Senior Vice-President.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Environmental and/or Social Sciences, International Development studies or related discipline
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience (5 of which must be at a managerial level) in a combination of related fields such as: Environmental and Social impact assessments; Environmental and Social safeguards policy and procedures (development and application); multilateral development bank operations; public or private financial institutions operations; A proven track record in successfully developing and applying environmental and social safeguards measures in development interventions, in the particular context of the multilateral development banks
- Ability to manage cultural and sensitive issues within a multicultural team.
- Demonstrated leadership and strategic thinking on mainstreaming environmental, social and climate safeguards measures in lending and non-lending operations.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with environmental and social safeguards with a clear understanding of developing and applying multilateral development banks’ safeguard policies and procedures to project operations, or equivalent.
- A strong understanding of environmental and social safeguards’ issues, challenges and practices relating to Africa.
- Ability to interact with various stakeholders at all levels, internally and externally.
- Ability to develop a successful leadership style to establish and achieve exceptional organization performance.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast paced environment; Strong managerial skills, including interpersonal communication and client-orientation.
- Ability to communicate effectively (excellent written and oral skills) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- It would be advantageous to have competence in SAP, and any other bespoke application used by the Bank which is deemed critical for discharging of Directors’ duties.
Application Closing Date
10th November, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online