Database Administrator at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 2 years
- Location Abuja
- Job Field ICT / Computer
General Position Summary
- The Database Administrator will be responsible for monitoring, evaluation, and information management by maintaining Mercy Corps Nigeria’s beneficiary information management system, including databases, web-based tools or other IMS solutions, and mobile data collection technology.
- S/he will support data collection across the Mercy Corps Nigeria country portfolio, ensure data quality, accessibility and security, troubleshoot technical issues and manage MEL systems assets.
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring integrity and sound design for the collection, storage and analysis of data.
- S/he works closely with ICT and M&E team members, and trains team members on the effective use of the MEL systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Support MCN’s program data collection and analysis approach and strategy in consultation with the MEL Advisor, MEL Managers and Mercy Corps technical staff.
- Provide guidance to program staff, including sub-grantees, in developing systems that enable clients and stakeholders to collect, analyze and effectively use program data in a synchronized and timely manner.
- Support the institutionalization of learning by supporting staff to develop feedback loops and systems that enable frequent and regular learning sessions and periodic activity redesigns for adaptive management.
- Administer the beneficiary IMS using appropriate ICT for M&E tools and platforms, including CommCareHQ and Tola, and maintaining MEL assets.
- Support ongoing troubleshooting and refinement of the beneficiary IMS.
- Train program and MEL team members on how to use the beneficiary IMS.
Communication and Capacity Building:
- Actively participate in meetings and processes to promote effective program management through strong MEL practices.
- Support the strengthening of staff capacity in the interpretation and use of both routine data collection and periodic evaluation/assessment tools through comprehensive training and coaching.
- Work with others in brainstorming and problem solving sessions to address shortfalls in monitoring, evaluation and information management.
- Utilize internal Mercy Corps global online information-sharing resources to enhance organizational learning.
- Manage the online database (CommCareHQ, Tola and others) – data coding, uploading and synchronizing of data.
- Update and assure the proper functioning of the web-based analytics dashboard, including implementing partners’ dashboard log-in accounts.
- Work with the MEL Advisor to provide custom analysis of incoming program activity and assessment data.
- Create chart, table, graph and map visualizations to communicate data insights.
- Lead data troubleshooting and support program team in data management.
Knowledge and Experience
- B.A/S or equivalent in a Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Systems etc
- Minimum 2 years of experience in data administration; data analysis and experience in data troubleshooting.
- Demonstrated experience in data collection, quantitative and qualitative analysis, and reporting.
- Proven experience in developing and managing information management systems, including multiple databases, web-based tools or other IMS solutions.
- Demonstrated experience with ICT for M&E, building or coding mobile data collection forms, including experience with Open Data Kit platforms such as ONA and CommCareHQ preferred.
- Experience designing and institutionalizing responsible data protection policies a plus.
- Experience in leading trainings of teams.
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Excel.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.