Coordination Officer (Sector / Information Management) at the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Coordination Officer (Sector / Information Management)
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 4 years
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
SVN No.: SVN2017/216(P)
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Working under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the
- Programme Coordinator (CCCM/Shelter Sector), the successful candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of Information Management solutions including data management, analysis, visualization, reporting and information sharing through the sector coordination Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Supervise the Information Management Unit (IMU) to ensure provision of the Information Management (IM) support including data management, analysis, visualization and proper implementation of IM polices and alignment to ITC standards including quality control of data gathering and dissemination.
- Support OCHA in cross-sector information management and analysis when necessary.
- In close coordination with the Sector Coordinators and the information management team, develop information products for partners, donors and sectorial publications and ensure the dissemination and adaptation of information management tools that meet sector needs. Including sector-specific maps and graphics on a regular basis that aid forward planning as well as impact analysis.
- Conduct preliminary analysis of data to facilitate and strengthen CCCM, Shelter and NFI areas of focus particularly to highlight information and assessment gaps and use the data for evidence based response and coordination.
- Follow up with sector partners for the provision of timely, consistent and compatible data and information on shelter NFI and CCCM assessments, needs and assistance provided for operational analysis and decision-making.
- Ensure timely dissemination of information to sector partners.
- Design and implement technical aspects of IM solutions for the workflow and documentation management of the administrative and operational processes of the sector.
- Review and recommend approval of appropriate technical specifications of all IM implementation and related support services to meet IM standard and end user’s needs.
- Train and support field works related to survey and assessment; database assistants in the use, maintenance and support of database system.
- Promote use of and training on the use of reporting tools among shelter assistance providers, sector partners and other stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and enhancement of the integrated methodology for data collection and information packaging as required and needed.
- Develop simple, user-friendly shelter/NFI and CCCM assistance reporting formats in consultation with the local authorities, providers of shelter assistance and other key stakeholders; these reporting formats should include provision for gender and age disaggregation of data and reporting on more vulnerable groups.
- Promote the use of inter-operable technologies among sector partners.
- Provide information outputs in the local language wherever feasible.
- Ensure adequate monitoring mechanisms are in place to review impact of the Sector and progress against implementation plans and humanitarian response plan.
- Support and enforce data confidentiality guidelines adopted by the Sector to protect sensitive data.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Information Management Systems, Geo-informatics, Data Management or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in Information Management for humanitarian or development activities;
- Experience in designing and implementation of Information Management methodology and systems; selection of appropriate technology standards for IM;
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis, visualization, mapping, document designing;
- Experience in data base development/management, website development/content management are an advantage;
- Extensive knowledge of humanitarian and development programming, information requirements are an advantage;
- Experience and knowledge of Cluster coordination mechanisms and humanitarian coordination structure.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – Takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- Client Orientation – Works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
- Continuous Learning – Promotes continuous learning for self and others;
- Communication – Listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- Creativity and Initiative – Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
- Leadership and Negotiation – Develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – Identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
- Planning and Organizing – Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Teamwork – Contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
- Technological Awareness – Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration – IOM career website on recruit.iom.int to apply