Consultant – Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises Engine II Programme at Mercy Corps Nigeria
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. In Nigeria, Mercy Corps has worked since 2012 by focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, conflict mitigation, and humanitarian response.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Type: Consultant (Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Training) – On the Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) II Programme
Job Field: NGO/Non-Profit
The Educating Nigerian Girls in New Enterprises (ENGINE) II programme is a 3 year (April 2017 – March 2020) Adolescent girls’ Education programme funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) through its Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC) Fund. Mercy Corps leads the implementation of ENGINE II in Nigeria, along with Society for Women Development and Economic Empowerment of Nigeria (SWODEN) in Kano, Action Health Incorporated (AHI) in Lagos, Kindling Hope across Nations (KHAN) in Kaduna and Tabitha Cumi Foundation in the Federal Capital Territory. Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection is a key criteria for GEC- T programme implementation.
General Consultancy Summary
ENGINE II is transitioning from Child Safeguarding to Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection, this means that programme must work within Child Protection frameworks in the State and ensure each synergy with stakeholders at all levels. This Consultancy will require contextualising the GEC Child Protection guidelines and the MC Child Protection policy making them part of the training content. The ToT Training will be in Abuja with about 48 participants. Training materials should be made available to all participants. Note that the MC Child protection policy and GEC Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy is attached.
The consulting firm will be engaged on the ENGINE II programme for at least two months starting end of February. The consultant will be responsible for developing training content, delivering training to ENGINE II Staff and share the training report.
Key Deliverables from the Consultancy Firm
The consultant is expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Develop Training content/manual that meets best practice of protection procedures.
- Facilitate a four day training workshop for ENGINE II Staff on Child and Vulnerable adult Protection.
- Provide excellent training report.
- Administer pre and post tests
- Recommend next steps for the organisation.
- University degree in Social Sciences or related field
- At least 3 years of experience working in social sector development with focus on Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection in the education sector (below tertiary) and marginalised populations especially gender based marginalisation
- Demonstrate previous experience in training and facilitation with international and/or Nigerian non-profit organisations
- Fluency in written and spoken English and excellent skills in producing succinct and clear report
- Good communication and facilitation skills
- Demonstrate capacity to transfer knowledge and skills to others
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Deep understanding of steps of case management and its intersections with Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection interventions.
- Understanding of Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection issues peculiar to Nigeria Review existing perceptions on children, adolescents, adult caregivers and communities on child protection concerns and responses (including formal and non-formal responses) including knowledge, attitudes, practices and behaviours.
- Understanding of existing national laws, policies and regulations relevant to Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection in Lagos, Kaduna, Kano and the FCT especially mandates, roles and responsibilities of Staff with regard to child and vulnerable adult protection for all categories of offenders
- Access to and coverage of existing Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection interventions through formal and traditional structures in the education sector. Integrated response systems- social welfare, justice, police, health, education, social protection and any other relevant sector.
- Understanding of reporting protocols for children and vulnerable adults in the formal and non-formal education sector.
- Deliver interactive training, provide training notes, handouts and training reports
- Use of modern technology in delivering quality training.
- The contract will be for a period of two (2) month.
- The Consultant will work closely with the Policy & Governance Manager and the Child Protection Officer.
Call for Proposals
Mercy Corps invites applications from eligible and qualified firms or organizations to undertake the work specified in this Terms of Reference (TOR). Interested consultancy firms should submit to Mercy Corps Nigeria the following:
- Company or organization profile
- A technical proposal responding to the TOR, with specific focus on addressing the TOR service, timeline and methodology to be used
- An initial work plan based on methodology outlined, and confirming availability of the applicant
- A minimum of 2 references (organization the firm has served in the past)
- Financial proposal or budget breakdown based on expected daily rates and initial work plan.
- Registered Firm. (10%)
- Proof of past work: Submit hard copy training content developed in the past 2 years (20%)
- Country experience: In-depth understanding of available resources in both public and private education sector (below tertiary) in Nigeria as regards Child and Vulnerable Adult protection – . (20%)
- Communication skills: Eligible consultancy firm should demonstrate excellent facilitation, writing, analytical, and presentation skills in English language, including accurate report development and editing. This will be verifiable through a past report. (10%)
- Child Protection and Do No Harm Principles: Eligible consultancy firm must have knowledge and skills of child protection and Do No Harm principles to ensure that service offered aligns with best practices in development programming. (20%)
- Costed Work plan – Submit an initial work plan based proposal outlined, and confirming availability of the applicant for the project duration. This should also include budget breakdown based on expected rates and implementation phases/milestones – (20%)
Application Closing Date
27th February, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates/firms should send their detailed proposal which will highlight the following:
- Profile of applicant(s) with details and qualifications of all that will be working on the team
- Detailed work plan outlining activities to be carried out with clear timelines.
- Budget including daily rate and samples of past work done
All proposals should be send with the subject “Child Protection Consultancy” to: email@example.com
For hard copy submission, please submit your proposals in a sealed envelope to:
Mercy Corps Nigeria,
35 Patrick Bokkor Crescent,
Opposite Government Junior Secondary School,
(The envelope should clearly state “ENGINE II Child Protection Consultancy” and should be addressed to the Operations Manager, Mercy Corps Nigeria).
- Mercy Corps/ENGINE II will have rights to use training content after the workshop.
- Sequel to the close of application, an internal shortlist of candidates will be done based on experience, skills and qualification.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be invited for a defence of their proposals consequent upon which a final candidate will be selected.
- Only short-listed firms will be contacted for further discussions. Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization.
- Special Instruction – No CV submission will be accepted only proposals will be evaluated.