Construction Manager at the Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA)
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Construction Manager – M/F
Location: Maiduguri (Borno State) with movements on bases
Line Manager: Project Coordinator / Logistics Coordinator
Mission and Main Activities
- Be responsible of all construction and/or rehabilitation projects in the mission.
- To achieve this: planning them on a short and medium term basis in collaboration with the coordination team, drawing up the projects and coordinating any studies required, overseeing the work progress and ensuring the technical, administrative and financial agreement with ALIMA and Donors protocols, plans, budgets and existing safety standards to ensure that construction works meet the needs of ALIMA programs.
Major Responsibilities of the Function
- Plan construction/rehabilitation projects to be performed in the mission, participating in the project design and development and ensuring that technical aspects are met and the compliance with the local construction habits. This includes:
- Design appropriate rehabilitation including planning of financial and human resources needed
- Analyze construction plans and resources for the project (labor, equipment, materials, quotes, budget)
- Identify the raw materials locally available (water, earth, wood …)
- Plan and coordinate the use of construction machinery and vehicles
- Negotiate agreements and permits with local authorities to develop the construction
- Call for tenders
Supervise and monitor the progress of the construction, ensuring that the works are done following ALIMA and Donors protocols and project specifications. This function involves:
- Act as an interlocutor with the construction company
- Ensure that materials used are the most appropriate (quality control of the work)
- Ensure that the required documentation is delivered on time
- Do the budget follow-up and inform the superior in case of over expenditure
Coordinate purchase orders related to the work activity. Namely:
- Receives and approves all orders related to construction activity, ensuring it meets with budget and purchase circuit
- Prepare orders according to stock material, the work schedule and work progress
- Check the material in stock and warehouse inventory control
- Provides technical support to the Purchaser for local purchases:
- Participate in the preparation of budgets associated to construction/rehabilitation projects, preparing invoices for payment of the works and anticipating the cash flow required for monthly payments
- Follows up and reports on the works’ progress and on technical aspects of the work, participating in monthly reports according to guidelines (SitRep, Logistics Statistical Report, etc.)
- Provide safety equipment for people who work in construction so as to ensure that all workers comply with safety standards
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR Co, the associated processes (recruitment, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and communication) of the staff under his/her responsibility in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required
Experience and Skills
- Essential university or technical school Diploma, desirable Construction or Engineering related studies
- Essential previous experience in construction (minimum 2 years)
- Proven understanding of ALIMA field logistics
- Fluency in English ; local language desirable ; speaking French is an asset
- Computer literacy
- People management
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork
- Contract term: contract under French law, 6 months’ renewable.
- Salary: depending on experience + per diem
ALIMA pays for:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee.
Application Closing Date
27th December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and answers to the following questions (you’ll join a Word document) to: email@example.com with the reference “Construction Manager – Nigeria” in the subject line.
- What do you know about ALIMA and why do you want to be part of it ?
- How do you place ALIMA in the NGO medical emergency landscape ?
- What do you think are the challenge of Deputy HR Coordinator in a medical emergency context as Nigeria ?
- How could you describe the attitude required to perform well in this role ?
- Please indicate your level both in English and French, written read spoken (scale between 1 and 10, 10 being native speaker).
Note: Any application without answer to the questions will not be taken into account.