Community Health Officer at Premiere Urgence Internationale
Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a nongovernmental, nonprofit, nonpolitical and nonreligious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain selfsufficiency.
The association leads in average 140 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 4 million people in 20 countries in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Caucasus and Europe.
PUI is implementing humanitarian activities in Nigeria since April 2016, supporting population with food security, nutrition and health project in Maiduguri and Borno State. PUI is now looking for Nurse for its medical health team to implement mobile health clinic in Maiduguri.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Community Health Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- Under the direct supervision of the Mobile Health Clinics Project Manager, the Community Health Officer is responsible of the community health workers’ team (CHW team) and is in charge of the preparation, the implementation and the monitoring of their activities: to promote, maintain and improve the individual and community health by assisting and encouraging the community to adopt healthy behaviors
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure the motivation and cohesion of the CHW team
- Plan, supervise and participate in the CHW health and hygiene promotion sessions
- Organise and facilitate team meetings
- Centralise all the data collected by CHWs
- Forward the data collected to Health Project Manager
- Communicate on a regular basis with the PM
- Identify needs from the field and report them to the PM
- Participate regularly in training sessions or information sessions
Supervision and Training of the Community Health Workers:
- He/She participates actively to the design of health and hygiene promotion and its curriculum.
- He/She trains and supports the CHW team in the design of health and hygiene promotion interventions.
- He/She accompanies the CHWs in their preparation of a campaign: ensure they have the necessary equipment and materials, they understand the objectives and the methodology.
- He/She suggests innovative approaches in order to meet the needs of the target population.
- He/She supervises the CHW team on the field.
- He/She ensures effective communication and quality of Health education session provided by the Community Health Workers
- He/She develops IEC tools in collaboration with the team and other PUI staffs as required.
- He/She reports any change, issue about field activities to the Project Manager or Medical Coordinator.
- He/She ensures proper PUI representation among local communities.
Health And Hygiene Promotion Data Collection And Reporting:
- He/She is in charge of planning, monitoring and evaluation of health and hygiene promotion/education programs in the target areas.
- He/She suggests necessary / potential modification of the health and hygiene activities in order to improve the project’s efficiency.
- He/She organises a daily/weekly debriefing with the team.
- Identifies the community network within existing National NGO’s and other local organizations working in the health/Nutrition/Social sectors/ WASH/Food Security and Livelihood.
- He/She attends the weekly PUI team meeting.
- He/She coordinates with other stakeholders on the ground – within PUI but also other NGOs of the camp – for smooth, efficient and effective implementing of health and hygiene promotion.
- He/She ensures the link with PHC and MHC activities with respective team leaders.
- He/She supports the realisation of any other activities such as vaccination campaigns, survey etc. according to the needs and as directed.
- He/She participates in writing an activity report.
- He/She participates in analizing the data collected on the field.
- A Diploma in Public Health or Community Health Management.
- 2-3 years of experience in Management and public Health
- Work experience with other NGO’s would be an asset.
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading & writing)
- Fluent in local languages – Kanuri, Hausa, etc.
- Team work: shows ability to work with a team and give technical supervision
- Communication: able to communicate clearly with respect for communities, team members and supervisors
- Motivation: shows commitment, flexibility and is service oriented
- Problem solving skills
- Stress management
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to Apply
Application Deadline 28th December, 2017.