Community Engagement and Information Assistant at the International Rescue Committee (IRC)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC)responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster.
At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Community Engagement and Information Assistant
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Experience 1 year
- Location Borno
- Job Field NGO/Non-Profit
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Scope Of Work
- The Information Assistant will work closely with the Protection Officer to ensure the smooth implementation of protection programming in the Maiduguri field office areas of operation.
- He/she will participate in the implementation of protection monitoring methodology and M&E systems.
- Assist the Training and Capacity Building Officer in the planning, coordination and execution of the project activities such as training, formulation of IEC materials, dissemination information planning.
- Take lead in mobilizing community for protection and other IRC related activities.
- Engage community members in design, planning and executing, and monitoring of community based protection activities.
- Work closely with other IRC staff to create and conduct dissemination information activities.
- Participate in the design, planning, and execution of protection activities.
- Take part in identification of new target locations.
- Participate in data collection for assessment such as community needs assessment and identify beneficiaries in need of assistance.
- Be the link between IRC Protection staff and the community.
- Establish and manage community feedback mechanism in target locations.
- Hold community meeting with key stakeholders to identify community needs and concerns
- Take lead in community engagement related budgeting
- Support Protection Officer in identifying and selecting most vulnerable individuals.
- Support referral by notifying Protection Officer of key Protection issues and concerns identified in target areas
- Develop and establish good working relationship with relevant stakeholders
- Collect information on target beneficiaries disaggregated by age and sex.
- Keep record of all community engagement activities implemented.
- Keep record of relevant stakeholders in target communities.
- Ensure timely preparation of activities
- Take part in weekly protection report compilation.
- Take part in development of monthly work plan
- Attend regular internal program meeting.
- Carry out other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
- University degree in Social Work, Psychology or a related field.
- 1 years’ experience implementing protection programming including experience in emergency or post-conflict project management
- Demonstrated experience using international human rights standards in protection programming
- Excellent communication skills, cultural sensitivity, flexibility, ability to improvise, team player.
- Experience in using community based and participatory approach.
- Experience in community mobilization and awareness creation.
- Experience in working in remote and hard to reach areas with limited amenities
- Ability to live and productively work under stress and in insecure and harsh environments while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Knowledge of the local language will be an added value
- Security level orange. The situation in Maiduguri, Borno remains unpredictable; there is active conflict in many parts of the country and a possibility for further expansion of the conflict and violence into other areas and other states.
- Competitive Monthly salary,
- 13th Month Salary Inclusive,
- Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Applicants should send their CV’s and Cover Letter to: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org address it to “Human Resources Coordinator, International Rescue Committee”.
Hand delivery applications should be submitted in Maiduguri Field office.
- Subject of the application should read: Community Engagement And Information Assistant, Maiduguri
- Only shortlisted candidates will be communicated for Interview.
- IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.