Communications Assistant at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Communications Assistant
Job ID: 13118
Duration of Initial Contract: 1 year
- United Nations in Nigeria is delivering humanitarian and development interventions in support of Government’s priorities. In providing it support, the UN works with a wide of partners both at Federal and State levels.
- This year marks the end of the partnership framework (UNDAF III) which informed UN interventions during the period 2014-2017. Together with the Government of Nigeria, a new partnership framework has been developed and will be implemented during the period 2018-2022.
- The multi-faceted challenges Nigeria faces include the complex humanitarian situation in its northeast region, other internal conflicts and many development shortfalls.
- The formulation of the successor UNDAF therefore took cognisance of the twin foci of humanitarian and development. Different agencies will be contributing to realizing the outcomes under each of the identified national priorities (pillars).
- To ensure enhanced visibility of the work and results of the work of the UN System and to provide the required crisis communication support, reporting and documentation of the humanitarian situation in NE and the development efforts in the country, efforts are being put in place to enhance communication activities of the Resident Coordinator’s Office (RCO).
- Under the overall guidance and direction of the Head of the RC Office, and direct supervision of the Head of Communication Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for providing support to RCO/CO Communications Unit in advancing its objectives in crisis communications, knowledge management and advocacy in the context of the New way of work under the Humanitarian-Development nexus.
- Specifically, he/she will assist in the design and development of strategic communications projects and advocacy initiatives, assist in the editing and translation of communication material, knowledge and advocacy products, and associated media materials (press releases, speeches, etc.) focusing on the crisis in North East, support to the development of the Country Team website and management of RCO/CO website and social media platforms for the piloting of the Humanitarian-Development nexus in Nigeria. He/she will also support administrative and logistical services for communication activities of the RCO and Communications Unit.
- A crisis Communications Strategy and Action Plan and tightly linked to program priorities helps position the Country Office in key development markets as a leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
Summary of Key Functions
- Support to development and implementation of internal and external crisis communications and advocacy strategies, actions plans support to business development
- Support to elaboration and implementation of the publications strategy and plan
- Support maintenance of website, social media platforms, databases and knowledge management systems
- Support the development and implementation of the UN in Nigeria Crisis Communication Strategy and Action Plan, highlighting the new way of working and programme interventions in crisis-affected regions of the country along the Humanitarian-Development Nexus.
Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Provide support towards content development for UN in Nigeria website
- In coordination with supervisor, develop regular communication material highlighting UN activities and achievements and/or engagements in responding to the crisis in North-East.
- Assist in rolling out media events such as press conferences/media briefings, interviews, campaigns, etc.
- Draft, translate and disseminate media products (media advisories, press releases, brief notes, etc.).
- Implement daily administrative and logistical tasks related to communications work, act as focal point for procurement in Communication Unit
- Development of communication materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Review of reference materials, identification of reference materials for retention. Maintenance of information database and photo library.
- Identify and compile daily news briefs on key humanitarian and development issues as covered by both local and foreign media.
- Organization and implementation of joint UN Communication activities including information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.)
- Join any ad hoc task forces that require his/her support as requested by the supervisor.
- Provides support to the elaboration and implementation of the UNCT publications guidelines and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provision of inputs and information for elaboration of RCO publications strategy and plan
- Identification of storylines for publications and articles contributing to debates on key humanitarian and development issues affecting the country.
- Support to translation/adaptation/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials. Contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production.
- Support production of publications including annual reports, UN Development Partnership Framework progress reports, project report/publication, newsletter and other outreach materials
- Supervision of publications dissemination.
- Support the design and maintenance of the UNCT web site, intranet, Social media, UNCT web-based knowledge management system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- In collaboration with other UN Agency communication officers, assist in identifying and drafting success stories and compiling lessons learnt in UN activities in responding to the crisis in North-East.
- Assist in implementing social media strategy and campaign, including content development, dialogue monitoring as well as feedback collection
- Updating and maintaining online platforms, support design of content including graphic designs for digital distribution.
- Preparation/checking the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials
- Monitor press coverage and improve external communications with radio and TV, newspapers and magazines as well as social media outlets to promote better understanding of human development and UN priorities in the countr.
Critical Success Factors
- The key results have an impact on creation of effective communications and dissemination of information on UNDP as UN’s global development network and the UN in Nigeria as government’s partner in responding to the humanitarian crises. Accurate analysis and presentation of information enhances UN/UNDP position as a strong development partner.
- The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Required Skills and Experience
- University Degree in either International Relations, Public Relations, Political Science, Development Studies, Mass Communications or any development related field.
- 5 years of relevant experience at the national level in similar position, providing communication packages to promote the activities of international development organization.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in using graphic or design software.
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrates commitment to UN’s mission, vision and values.
- Demonstrates sound judgment, diplomacy and sensitivity to confidential matters.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Good coordination and organisational skills, teamwork
- Communications, journalism, copy-writing, editing experience
- Previous assignment in a similar position would be desirable.
- Experience and familiarity with UN and UNDP procedures an asset.
Application Closing Date
30th November, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.