Commercial Lawyer at Fareast Mercantile Company Limited
The Chanrai Family put down roots in Nigeria in 1890 with trading at the center of all commercial activity. Today, Fareast Mercantile Co. Limited our flagship company in West Africa has dedicated its resources to supply chain management through the import and distribution of products covering branded food, FMCG, appliances, and tires for the best multi-nationals in the world. A product portfolio spanning 1500 SKUs is managed with a capable professional team, robust infrastructure and strong delivery systems to ensure availability of products covering 93% of the throughput of the country. Other subsidiaries in the group focus on pharmaceutical distribution with a dedicated resource for institutional business in the area of health. Diversification into assembly of air conditioners in June 2003 was the first step towards backward integration with a view to import substitution, self-reliance and creation of employment…bearing in mind the Government’s plan to put Nigeria on the road to industrialization.
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND MBA/MSc/MA
- Experience 8 years
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Law / Legal
The Commercial Lawyer will provide corporate support and handle all complex legal matters and projects. He/she will deal with issues pertaining to business transactions, wide range of commercial matters and agreements.
Principal Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Providing clear and concise legal advice and support to the client, having regard to the client’s business objectives, and delivering practical, creative and commercial solutions and value within budget and time constraints, whilst ensuring that risks are understood and mitigated.
- Taking instructions from the client and advising on the law and legal issues.
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements and other legal documents tailored to the client’s needs.
- Attending meetings and negotiations as legal adviser with opposing parties.
- Ensuring, as far as possible, that the client’s governance processes are observed as regards commercial matters with which the commercial solicitor deals.
- Assisting with the resolution of disputes concerning commercial contracts.
- Monitoring the suitability of the client’s contract precedents, processes and procedures and amending them and providing training as necessary.
- Identifying ways to add value and improve internal efficiencies, including process improvements.
- Supervising and delegating work to paralegals and support staff as appropriate.
- Liaising with professionals and other operatives in both the client’s business and externally.
- Keeping up to date with all relevant legal, legislative, regulatory and industry developments relevant to the legal specialism, informing and updating the team, and providing proactive updates to facilitate the client’s operational activities.
- Designing and delivering commercial law training to the client’s business and management teams.
- Undertaking a range of continuing professional development (CPD) activities ensuring efficient knowledge transfer across the legal team.
- Complying with all service level agreements and KPIs, including accurately recording time and meeting reporting obligations.
- Obtaining regular client feedback.
- Any other duties deemed necessary
- An LLB or BL graduate
- A Masters in Law (Desirable)
- Ability to take ownership of the role and work with minimum supervision.
- Must be keen to innovate and be successful at formulating and implementing strategies and plans.
- Sound, effective and enthusiastic communicator.
- Ability to learn a complicated and dynamic business, understand the client, its customers and the regulatory regime in which the business operates and proactively advise on a combination of legal and business issues.
- A minimum of 8 years work experience, with focus on involvement with the commercial and corporate law.
- Should have received specialized training in Commercial Law, Contract Negotiations, International Law and Legal Drafting.
- Leadership qualities
- Interpersonal communication abilities
- Influence and negotiation capabilities
- Problem-solving & quick decision-making ability
- Attention to detail and quality
- Good knowledge of Nigeria and International laws
- Ability to keep confidentiality in respect of all matters handled
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Fareast Mercantile Company Limited career website on seamlesshiring.com to apply