Clinical Research Nurse at The Alliance for International Medical Action
The Alliance for International Medical Action is recruiting for its project in OWO, Ondo State:
Clinical Research Nurse
- Job Type: Contract Full Time
- Qualification: BA/BSc/HND
- Location: Ondo
- Job Field: Medical / Healthcare
Lassa fever (LF) is an acute viral illness (epidemic prone disease) that can result in a viral hemorrhagic fever (VHF) syndrome. The causative agent is the Lassa virus, which is primarily transmitted by rodents. The illness was first reported in Borno State, Nigeria in 1969. Since then cases and outbreaks continue to be reported in Nigeria and the diseases is increasingly recognized to be endemic in many other parts of West Africa. Treatment includes the antiviral drug ribavirin and supportive care. However, there is relatively little scientific information on the disease and its treatment, and there is a significant need for research data. The WHO has therefore classified Lassa fever as a priority disease for research and development.
As part of the LASCOPE study, sponsored by INSERM, the University of Oxford, the ALERRT consortium, we are looking for an Assistant Field Research Coordinator who will help the Filed Research Coordinator to ensure the proper conduct of clinical research studies on Lassa fever (LASCOPE cohort study and related projects). This includes ensuring daily management of clinical research staff in clinical sites, guaranteeing the quality of data collection as well as conducting the internal monitoring of databases, participating to the organization and the conduct of training activities for clinical research staff. S/he will work in close collaboration and under the supervision of the Field research coordinator the LASCOPE project (INSERM / ALIMA), the Infection Control and Research Center (ICRC) team and the Viral Hemorrhagic Fever Laboratory team at FMC Owo, and ALIMA’s team in Owo.
This is an exciting opportunity to gain experience in clinical research, working alongside an international team of doctors, nurses and researchers. The post holders will receive regular training in clinical research methods, as well as the use of advanced clinical monitoring equipment.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The clinical research nurse will work a shift based system in the Infection Control and Research Center, in both the suspect and confirmed Lassa fever wards. The clinical research nurse will report to the study coordinator.
The clinical research nurse will:
- Help to identify eligible patients and recruit patients into the study, and provide patients (or their representatives) with the opportunity to discuss the research study
- Obtain written informed consent from patients (or their representatives)
- Provide written and verbal information and support for patients (or their representatives) involved in the study
- Coordinate treatment, assessment and follow-up as necessary in accordance with the study protocol and the study schedule
- Maintain accurate patient study documentation, including the completion of Case Record Forms and use of electronic data capture systems
- Perform study related tasks, including performing finger pricks for collection of dried blood spots, performing cardiovascular measurements using study specific equipment, and other tests
The clinical research nurse will be expected to
- Comply with the Lassa ward infection and control procedures at all times
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Follow the supervision and instructions of the study coordinators
- Maintain and improve their professional knowledge and competence
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the post. The duties listed are not definitive and may be added to or changed according to the needs of the research study
- Knows and applies the infection prevention and control procedures and protocols in use on the Lassa fever ward
- Knows and applies the safety procedures in relation to viral hemorrhagic fevers
- Maintains their knowledge of the ALIMA association, including its operation, structure, internal rules and procedures, and respects and applies ALIMA’s values
- Keeps up to date with the objectives and activities of the research study
- Maintains awareness of the activities of other departments within ALIMA
- Helps develop the local political and social understanding of Lassa fever
- Participates in departmental meetings, and develops team spirit and solidarity
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Additional training in clinical research is desirable
- Experience in clinical research, including data collection, is essential
- Experience in a hospital medical service (nurse or Doctor)
- Knowledge of at least one data entry software
- Experience in an infectious diseases department would be appreciated
- Knowledge of at least one Office Pack software is desirable
- Fluent English is essential. Youruba language skills are desirable
- Qualities of the candidate:
- Rigor and organization
- Adaptability and initiative
- Developed interpersonal skills and diplomacy
Contract term: 6 months’ renewable.
Salary: Level 5 – N225,969.60
The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
NB: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission.
Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
with the reference “Field Coordinator LASCOPE NIGERIA” in the subject line.