Career Planning Manager At Andela Nigeria
Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
Career Planning Manager
- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification BA/BSc/HND
- Location Lagos
- Job Field Human Resources / HR
Level: Manager III
About The Role
Andela is on a mission to empower a generation of technology leaders across Africa. In the past two years, we have recruited over 400 developers, based in Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, who work as full-time engineers for leading technology companies across the globe. We’ve contributed over 7,000 hours to 245 open source projects, participated in some of the world’s most competitive hackathons, and even helped introduce Mark Zuckerberg to the Nigerian technology ecosystem.
As part of the Andela Technical Leadership Program, we provide Developers the opportunity to pursue many different paths towards technical leadership, as well as help them prepare for their careers beyond Andela. As such, we provide Developers with career support to plan out the path they’d like to take through the Technical Leadership Program, in order to get the maximum benefit of the experiences we offer.
Andela is seeking an experienced Career Planning Manager who will play a critical role in developing a fully integrated approach to Career Development for Developers at Andela. As the primary driver of Andela’s Career Services unit, you will be responsible for ensuring that Developers are equipped with the tools to plan their career trajectories both at Andela and after they leave. You will also ensure that Andela is doing everything possible to enable those careers.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Develop and manage an array of programs and services related to career exploration, planning and development
- Support Developers with defining and refining their career visions and career action plans to encompass their time at Andela and beyond
- Check in with Developers (at least quarterly) to ensure that they are making progress on their career plans or updating it to reflect their new interests
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to create opportunities, tools and resources that support Developers in achieving their short and long term goals
- Aggregate data from all the Developer career plans and collaborate with the Learning department to recommend potential new technology paths within Andela
- Determine staffing needs through hiring, leading and directing a team to achieve the short and long term goals of the Career Planning team
- Manage career counselors in performing related tasks
Strategy and Planning:
- Lead strategic planning for the Career Planning department
- Establish short and long term goals and ensure that the day-to-day operations are in line with the department’s goals
- Significant experience building Learning and Development plans for medium to large organisations, ideally for employees in technical fields
- Technical experience (ideally in software) in roles such as Software Developer, Software Engineer, Technical Project Manager, Technical Team Lead, Product Manager, etc.
- Excellent written & verbal communication
- Creative and critical thinking skills
- Strong leadership experience, particularly around influencing stakeholders
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading academic institution
- Startup experience preferred, though not required
- A great personality and good heart; we have a “no jerk” policy
Benefits and Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet.
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Andela career website on boards.greenhouse.io to apply