Agriculture Specialist at the American University of Nigeria (AUN)
The American university of Nigeria (AUN) is Africa’s foremost development university with a mission to foster the creation of leaders committed to sustaining a democracy in which diverse people share in the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, proficient in creating and applying technology to wise purpose, and dedicated to securing a humane and prosperous world. The university offers a unique resource for Nigeria, West Africa, and the entire continent in addressing crucial economic and social development needs.
The American University of Nigeria, Yola, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the position below in the Atiku Centre Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Development:
Job Title: Agriculture Specialist
Location: Yola and Mubi, Adamawa
About the Project
- The Atiku Centre Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Development is starting a new project in early 2018, focused on improving resilience amongst returnees in return LGAs of Adamawa state. This is two years project with office in Yola and Mubi.
- The Atiku Centre Leadership, Entrepreneurship and Development was set up to provide a one stop shop for all development initiatives, utilizing our local knowledge and global expertise to study problems, develop solutions and prioritize the implementation of the solutions in the form of projects.
- The centre currently implements a number of projects across the north east focusing on mitigating the impact of the insurgency on the lives of the people of the north east and Nigerians in general.
- The Agriculture Specialist is a key position on this project. S/he is responsible for ensuring that beneficiary farmers are exposed to various agricultural techniques and approaches to improve their crop yields.
- S/he should have vast experience and knowledge of the agricultural practices of northern Nigeria and how they can be improved.
- S./he should be a ‘down to earth’ and ‘hands on’ person that can interact with farmers and extension workers.
- S/he will be an excellent trainer and mentor who can assess needs, identify gaps and develop and implement interventions to address such needs.
- S/he should be computer literate ad able to use basic applications
- The Agriculture specialist reports to the Project Manager
- Master’s degree of equivalent in the field of Agriculture, fisheries and related fields
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in agriculture, livelihoods and similar fields
- Knowledge of capacity development in local settings a plus
- Experience working at community and LGA levels preferred
- Experience developing farmer and state partner capacity will be recognized
- Knowledge and understanding of the development sector in Nigeria preferred
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of Hausa required.
- Knowledge and experience of working in Northern region of Nigeria will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
22nd December, 2017.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.