Agricultural Specialist at Global Communities (Formerly CHF International)
Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Agricultural Specialist
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travel throughout the northeast states (Adamawa, Borno, Gombe and Yobe) and periodic trips to Abuja.
- Global Communities is seeking an experienced Agriculture Specialist for the anticipated five-year USAID-funded Nigeria Rural Resilience program. With external and internal factors creating an increasingly dynamic and challenging environment, the program is expected to focus on increasing the resilience of vulnerable, mostly rural, households to shocks and stress.
- This position is contingent on funding.
- The Agriculture Specialist will lead components designed to enhance yields, improve market access and mitigate post-harvest losses for small-holder farmers and livestock owners.
- S/he will work closely with other technical component leads to ensure alignment between initiatives and activities. S/he reports to the DCOP.
- The Agriculture Specialist is responsible providing technical direction to project implementation and ensuring the project meets stated goals, expected results and reporting requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Supervision and/or mentoring of relevant technical staff,
- Conducting regular site visits to observe project progress, validate data and obtain feedback from participants and stakeholders,
- Collaborating with the technical team and senior leadership to adapt project work-plans and approaches based on performance and contextual factors,
- Contributing to progress reports,
- Managing relevant project expenditures in-line with the budget and donor and organizational policies and requirements, and
- Representing the project and organization at technical meetings and with stakeholders (other NGOs, government officials, etc.).
- Education Requirements: Master’s degree (or equivalent) in a discipline related to Agriculture or related field of study;
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in planning, managing and evaluating agriculture- and livestock-related projects;
- Excellent knowledge of the composition, challenges and opportunities in the agriculture sector in northeast Nigeria;
- Extensive experience and knowledge of best practice interventions sustainably addressing food insecurity and malnutrition;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level;
- Significant experience ensuring programs include and benefit vulnerable and marginalized populations (e.g. women, elderly, individuals with disabilities, the very poor);
- Professional level of oral and written fluency in English required
- Strong skills in Hausa and Kanuri preferred
Application Closing Date
31st January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online